At Rowena Academy our children take great pride in their school and the community in which they live. They are very proactive and love to be involved in supporting our Academy in the following ways:
- The Academy Council has given the children a greater understanding of their rights and responsibilities and has given the pupils a greater voice in the running of the Academy.
- The Academy Council:
- meet regularly and minute their meetings
- are involved in the interview process for the appointment of new staff
- hold regular non-uniform days to raise money for Sport Relief, Children in Need, Red Nose Day etc.
- send out letters with the support of the Vice Principal
- have established links with our local residential care home ‘Rowena House’
- have organised annual Shoe Box Appeals to support less fortunate children through the charity Samaritan’s Purse.
The Year Two ‘Rowena Rangers’ are also voted for by their peers and are given responsibility for supporting other children at playtime and lunchtime. They take their roles very seriously and have a very positive impact on playground behaviour.
The ‘Playground Leaders’ are Year Two children who are trained by our coach from Active Fusion and work with one of the Midday Supervisors to set up a wide variety of games and equipment in the playground and then support children in playing them.
The introduction of ‘Playground Leaders’ has had a very positive impact on the opportunity for the children to participate in structured activities during lunchtimes. This has significantly contributed to improved behaviour at lunchtime and has contributed towards our effort to provide three hours of quality P.E a week for our children.
Mini First Aiders
The introduction of our ‘Mini First Aiders’ course led by Direct Action Training has proved very popular with our pupils.
‘Mini First Aiders’ is specifically designed for children in school and uses being physically active to engage and inspire children to learn the vital skills of saving a life.
On the course the children meet Aidie the life saving alien and his accident prone family on their adventures. Their adventures lead the children through a serious of first aid emergencies which Aidie has to solve using his trusty first aid kit and skills.
The children relish the opportunity to be ‘Mini First Aiders’.