At Rowena Academy we aim to provide all children with a broad and balanced curriculum which prepares them for life beyond primary education. We encourage children to use their creativity and imagination to design and make products that solve real and relevant problems within a variety of contexts. We aim where possible to link work to other disciplines such as mathematics, science, computing and art. This gives the learning purpose and relevance to the children.
The curriculum enables children to take risks, become resourceful, innovative, enterprising and capable citizens. Through the evaluation process children develop a critical understanding of their design and product.
Through the delivery of Design and Technology at Rowena Academy, we intend:
- To develop a range of skills and positive attitudes through Design and Technology tasks.
- To encourage the flexibility and openness of mind necessary to meet challenges.
- To use elements of children’s previous learning and experience, which will assist in developing a satisfactory solution to a problem.
- To develop children’s ability to communicate appropriately in practical contexts.
- To give children a sense of enjoyment and pride in their ability to design and make.
- To help children to develop the social skills required to work as a member of a team as well as the ability to work independently and to share ideas about ways of carrying out a task.
- To teach children the appropriate vocabulary and familiarise them with tools and equipment.
- To provide opportunities to experiment with and investigate the variety, properties and uses of a range of materials and tools.
- To help children to recognise the suitability of a product for its purpose and how a finished product may be improved.
- To promote and reinforce health, safety and hygiene issues prior to, during and after Design and Technology tasks by providing the children with good examples and promoting good practice and discussion.